Posts for tag: Oral Hygiene Habits
Has your oral hygiene routine changed since you were a child? If you only spend a few seconds brushing and don't make flossing a regular habit, you may be at increased risk of tooth decay and gum disease. Good oral hygiene habits and regular visits to your Gainesville, VA, dentist, Dr. Chris Houser, can help you protect your smile.
Do You Follow These Oral Hygiene Recommendations?
A good oral hygiene regimen includes:
- Brushing Twice Daily: Brushing first thing in the morning and in the evening reduces the buildup of plaque, a colorless, sticky substance contains bacteria and causes tooth decay. When plaque remains on your teeth for as little as 10 days, it becomes tartar, a hard substance that can cause gum disease.
- Following the Two-Minute Rule: The American Dental Association (ADA) recommends brushing for at least two minutes. If you only brush for 30 seconds or less, plaque may remain on some areas of your teeth.
- Brushing Your Tongue: Plaque also accumulates on your tongue and can transfer to your teeth soon after you finish brushing. Gently brushing your tongue with your brush or using a tongue scraper reduces the amount of plaque in your mouth.
- Flossing Daily: Using floss every day removes plaque between teeth, an area that toothbrush bristles can't reach.
- Buying Fluoridated Toothpaste: Toothpaste that features the ADA seal contains fluoride, a mineral that rebuilds weak areas of tooth enamel, reducing your cavity risk.
- Using Mouthwash: Mouthwash doesn't just freshen your breath but also helps you avoid cavities. Many brands of mouthwash contain fluoride and also offer anti-bacterial protection.
How Dental Visits Help You Keep Your Smile Healthy
Visiting the Gainesville dental office is a simple way to maintain good oral health. During the visit, you'll receive a thorough dental exam and oral cancer screening. When you visit the dentist every six months, he can spot cavities, tooth decay, and other issues and treat them before they can significantly impact your oral health. Your visit also includes a dental cleaning to remove plaque and tartar so as to make your smile sparkle.
Keep your smile bright and healthy with regular dental checkups! Call your dentist in Gainesville, VA, Dr. Houser, at (703) 754-5800 to schedule an appointment.