Sometimes, even with the best oral habits you can still see your teeth begin to color and fade. There are many reasons your teeth can fade and change color. That is why our team here at Heritage Hunt Dental is here to give you and your family insight on why your teeth might need a teeth-whitening treatment. These reasons include:
Some reasons your teeth fade or become discolored include:
- Drinks: There are many drinks that can stain your smile, especially coffee, tea, and red wine. These drinks have chromogens, which are intense color pigments that attach to the white outer section of your teeth.
- Tobacco Use: Tobacco products contain two chemicals that cause major stains, and those chemicals are tar and nicotine. If you avoid using tobacco, your smile will remain white and brilliant.
- Age: Throughout time, your teeth begin to wear down. As your teeth’s enamel wears away, the yellowish area underneath the enamel starts to show. This area is called dentin. The more your enamel disappears, the yellower your smile will be.
- Trauma: When you injure your smile, your teeth try to protect themselves by growing additional dentin, which has a yellow tint to it. Once the dentin grows over your teeth, the white enamel will disappear.
- Medications: Tooth discoloration can be a side effect of many medications, like antihistamines, antipsychotics, and high blood pressure medication. Chemotherapy and radiation can also stain your teeth.
As you can see, there are many causes for your teeth to fade and become discolored. That is why it is important to receive your teeth-whitening treatment, so your teeth can remain bright and white for years to come. So, call us today and make an appointment at 703.754.5800. Take that first step into receiving the smile you’ve always dreamed of!